Sacramento City Unified starts making cuts, including sixth grade field trip funds

District leaders said they are taking the first steps in recovering more than $150 million.

Published on August 21, 2026

Sly Park

Students go on a nature hike at Sly Park on Dec. 14, 2017. Sly Park is an overnight nature camp in El Dorado County that has hosted Sacramento students for decades.

PBS KVIE

The Abridged version:

  • Sacramento City Unified officials presented their first formal update on their strategy to make it through the 2026-27 school year and dodge a dreaded state intervention.
  • Reductions on the table include removing districtwide funding for a well-known sixth grade field trip to Sly Park. Now, parents and PTA groups will be responsible for covering the costs.
  • With the latest round of saving measures, staff anticipate that the district will have cash in the bank through February. That’s without a recent agreement with the teachers union, a key piece of the solvency plan that county education officials rescinded last month.

A little more than a week into the new school year, Sacramento City Unified officials said they have made a dent in their hefty goal to stay afloat and dodge a dreaded state intervention.

So far, staff identified about $36.7 million in savings, a little more than a fifth of the overall $158.6 million needed to prevent the district coffers from running dry.

Chris Ralston, assistant superintendent of facilities, presented the figures to the school board Thursday, promising a cadence of monthly progress reports moving forward.

“The data will get better. The reporting will get better,” Ralston said.

Sign Up for the Homeroom Newsletter

A weekly email with news and insights into Sacramento area schools and how it impacts your students.

Other savings could come from an extensive list of potential program cuts, including pulling back districtwide funding for a well-known sixth grade field trip to Sly Park in El Dorado County.

Sly Park stays, funding doesn’t

Under the proposed change, payment for the middle school science trip would be the responsibility of individual schools, parents or PTAs.

Shifting the cost away from the district’s checkbook would save an expected $850,000 this year, according to Ralston’s presentation.

The multi-day trip has long been an annual event for sixth grade students at Sacramento City Unified. Traditionally, parent groups at each school would fundraise for it.

After 2020, the district began using additional COVID-19 pandemic-related funds to cover the costs across campuses.

Trustee Taylor Kayatta, whose son just started sixth grade at Pony Express Elementary School, said his PTA has already started raising money, “as are other PTAs that saw the writing on the wall.”

“For a lot of our students, hopefully most of our students, the trip can still happen,” Kayatta said.

Sly Park
Students build a shelter out of wood at Sly Park on Dec. 14, 2017. Sly Park is an overnight nature camp in El Dorado County that has hosted Sacramento students for decades. (PBS KVIE)

Missing piece

About $31 million — the bulk of the $36.7 million recovered so far — comes from a one-time state grant. The rest is predominantly the result of a change in funding for books and supplies.

Currently, the district faces the prospect of running out of cash by February.

That runway would stretch through April with the inclusion of a contentious agreement with the Sacramento City Teachers Association.

The four-year contract extension, announced at the end of July, came with about $48 million in savings for the district in 2026-27. Most of that resulted from the temporary use of a special reserve account, instead of the general fund, to pay for retired teachers’ health benefits.

The agreement was a key piece of the district’s most recently updated financial recovery plan.

Deal on ice

However, officials from the Sacramento County Office of Education overturned the agreement, citing concerns about use of the trust and that the agreement would lock up bargaining until 2030.

District leaders appealed the decision to State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond.

Thurmond declined to reverse the county-level recission, but he endorsed the original deal and threatened to step in over the county office’s authority going forward.

The agreement could be resurrected, district officials said in the wake of Thurmond’s ruling.

Trustee Jasjit Singh said he strongly disagreed with criticism of the deal, and he called on the county office Thursday to retract their previous decision.

“There is a credible plan before you,” Singh said. “Look at this plan and work with us.”

Related content from PBS KVIE: Inside California Education: Sly Park

About the Author

Add as a preferred source on Google

Latest Articles

For a seasonal, veggie-forward main, make these stir-fried long beans with pork

The Abridged version: This is Cooking in Season, a biweekly…

Read Article →

Hotel in a historic church? Sacramento fields pitch to rethink Midtown place of worship

The Abridged version: An application submitted to the city of…

Read Article →

G.I.R.L.S. Rock Sacramento ponders its future ahead of Midtown benefit show

The following is the Aug. 20 edition of Cultural Capital,…

Read Article →

Get Abridged in your inbox

Keep up with the latest

Get the inside scoop on local news, restaurants and entertainment with Abridged newsletters.

Secret Link